Love, Life...or something like it

Monday, July 21, 2008

ripped it like a band-aid

I did it. I dropped the bomb today.

I must have seen this as a really important occassion as I went in in my best suit which I haven't worn in years, and had my hair up and everything. Kinda like the day that started this all.

He was late, which only aggravated the jitters. Ten minutes later, he entered the boardroom, all sweaty and apologetic. Once he caught his breath, I said it all - quick and succinct.

Without looking at all surprised, he asked me why. And I only told him half the truth. How funny - even though I was almost at the finish line, I realised it was still impossible to be completely honest when in a professional capacity.

I think it was out of formality above anything else, that he tried to convince me to consider the upside of staying with the company. But lucky for me, I'm not one who's easily lured by the sweet sounds of ka-ching! Not at this stage anyway. Formalities aside, he then spoke of the finer things, like adulthood, crossroads, priorities, calling-the-shots, the-bigger-picture. And from all that, I could tell that he finally understood the real reason behind my decision. And that made it a whole lot easier for me.

At some point within our conversation, we made a little trip down memory lane. For us, what started as a professional relationship grew into something else. He bought me special Indian mangoes a few times, and I helped him pick out the engagement ring for his then-girlfriend, who has now obviously become his wife. We shared a few laughs and exchanged the typical farewell mumbo-jumbo and promised to stay in touch.

Phew, that wasn't too hard.

So I did it. I'm going home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home